Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Good Smells, Bad Smells

I happen to be married to an incredible olfactory system.  Not like that of my dog, of course, who can't go 20 feet up the sidewalk without stopping to check her messages (not my line unfortunately), but for a human really quite remarkable.  I, on the other hand, have a substandard system.  If you were to add us together and divide by 2 you would get about the standard for our species.  It turns out this disparity of talent is quite useful.  There's a lot of bad smelling stuff in the world and a lot of it needs to be cleaned up, moved around or otherwise handled.  Those, naturally, are my jobs.  This is not a complaint.  The sense of smell might be a place where given a choice between supper good and rather poor a person would be wise to go for being less gifted.  It may well be that the world offers us more and stronger bad smells than good.  In my wife's case even the supposedly good ones, e.g. perfume, are often punishingly bad. 

Just musing.

No comments:

Post a Comment