Monday, December 26, 2011

A Strange Occurance

We have a porch at the side of our house where we like to read, eat a meal and sometimes take a nap. In the winter I usually put together a good sized cage which we call the Winter Palace. I put the chickens there where it is easier to feed them, collect the eggs and take in their antics. I was late putting it together this year, just getting the walls up late on the 23rd. Sometime that night a group of little people set up house keeping right there on our porch. I couldn’t believe it. Not only were they short, they were oddly dressed, some kind of like royalty and others like peasants or shepherds or something. Anyway they claimed there were no rooms available in all of Seattle, if you can believe that. They didn’t seem to offer much trouble so I let ‘em stay. They tied their ass out in the backyard which was fine with me cuz I didn’t want a bunch of donkey dung to clean up along with the chicken manure. And then the next night in the wee hours of the morning my wife and I were woken up by some neighbors singing religious songs; on and on and on with the alleluias at the top of their lungs. They must have been pretty drunk to be making that much noise at that hour, but I will say they sounded pretty good and whoever their lead soprano was, she has a voice that is out of this world. But that’s not all. In the morning we found out that a woman among the little people had actually had a baby in the night- no OB, no drugs. no nothing for her. Right there on our side porch. You can imagine our amazement. Well I must say the baby is a calm little fellow. Doesn’t seem to mind the chickens throwing straw in his face or even kicking him right out of his bed from time to time. I don’t know how long they intend to stay, but I guess not too long. One of the men, a guy named Joe, said they’ll be leaving soon. Going to Egypt. Go figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment